This blog shares my ongoing study of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and my studies draw from the Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price, as well as teachings of LDS Church leaders past and present, many of which are prophets and apostles. This site is not an official representation of Latter-day Saint doctrine and practice. For official sites, please visit www.lds.org or mormon.org.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

And [Charity] Is Kind

"And charity suffereth long, and is kind..." (Moroni 7:45).

A person with charity is very kind. Seeing one person being kind to another is beautiful and lifts the spirits of both parties and of anyone observing. I've always enjoyed the Liberty Mutual commercials that show people helping others because they recently observed someone serve someone else. I really think the most beautiful thing in the world is seeing one person helping another.

Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin taught that "kindness is the essence of greatness and the fundamental characteristic of the noblest men and women I have known."

One of the noblest people I have known is my mother. She serves everyone around her almost constantly and finds joy in serving. She is proactively kind - searching for opportunities to help instead of only being kind as the need arises. I'm very grateful for her example.

If we reflect back on our day, we can see that a great many people have been kind to us. It may be as simple as a smile or as great as sacrificing hours of time to help us. We often overlook these many acts of service (at least I do). Each act is another message to us from a loving Heavenly Father, reminding us that He loves us.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. I had a bad experience this weekend and needed the reminder to look for all of the great things people around me really do to help me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thanks Deanne! I'm glad it helped!

    ReplyDelete